Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 6 - Easter at the Emergency Vet Clinic and How Things Went Down Hill from There

Tim wakes me up at 5:00 this morning in a panic because London is shivering and crying walking up steps. Something is wrong.

I jump out of bed and come downstairs and lay with London on the couch. London is Tim's baby ... he LOVES that dog. I mean he really, really LOVES that dog so I know the best thing I can do for Tim is to take care of London because Tim can't. Tim had shoulder surgery Friday and is in a ton a pain and has very little mobility. My family is a bit of a mess right now.

I get London calmed down and I fall back asleep, but by 9:00 am Tim is still worried so I take London to the Emergency vet's office in Fairfax, where like at every doctor's office, we wait. And, wait ... in a nice room mind you, but it smells, like animals, and it's hot and London is anxious so he's panting NON STOP. I love myself, I love myself, I love myself -- it's not working. I'm agitated and tired and worried about London and about Tim because I know he's hurting and worried about London, and this is not how I wanted to spend my Sunday.

I had plans. I had things I wanted to do ... work out with a friend, enjoy the beautiful day, go to a meeting.

The doc finally sees London and the diagnosis? He thinks London has some kind of bulging disc on his left side that is causing him pain, kind of like a pinched nerve.

OMG ... I heard that owners and their pets can end up looking similar, but animals and their owners get the same illnesses? I had to laugh when the doctor prescribed the EXACT same medicine my doctor prescribed for my pinched nerve on my left side.

London is fine, though apparently he's obese and needs to lose 10-15 pounds. I hope he didn't take after Tim or I for that one!

It's funny, I always think of myself as a really selfish person, and really this hasn't changed my opinion much, but it was nice to see that when my family or someone I love needs me, I can jump into action, no questions asked and get it done (and I didn't even lay a guilt trip on Tim or anything). Now you may say to yourself what would Tim possibly have to feel guilty about? ABSOLUTELY nothing, but being the selfish person that I am, I can always manufacture something for him to feel guilty about. For instance, Tim, I know you had surgery on Friday knowing London would get hurt and you couldn't take care of him and I would have to do it for you. This is how my crazy mind thinks. The progress is that I don't act on these crazy thoughts, and I was available for Tim and London.

And I even got my exercise and meeting in today ... even if it wasn't how I planned it. I rode my bike to the meeting, and it was beautiful outside. I couldn't wait to get home, relax and get ready for work tomorrow and pack for trip, leaving Tuesday. Ah, not to be ...

I got an email from Delta saying it was time to check in for my flight TOMORROW.

Oops. Guess I won't be going to work tomorrow. On a positive note, I have one less day to worry about being in shape enough for my trip, being too snorey for my roommate (that's a new word ... snorey), essentially my general overall go-to worry about not being good enough.

Ah, I love myself, I love myself, I love myself.

P.S. Thanks for reading, for your thoughts and love. And also, I will try to post every day while at the Grand Canyon but wireless coverage may be spotty so I'll post as much as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment