Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day 8 -- I'm at the Grand Canyon!

What a day!

I meet the REI guide, the one single guy traveling alone on this trip and my soon-to-be roomie (we'll call her Stacey) in Phoenix at 8:00 am this morning. No one, of course, is anything like I pictured them. Our guide is tall and thin and kind of goofy looking. The single guy, (let's call him Rick) is medium height, thin, brown non-descript hair and basically looks like a guy who lives in his mom's basement (at age 40 something). Stacey, whom I really hadn't gotten around to imagining what she looks like, is super thin, blonde and cute as a button.

I'd confess to hating her (jealousy and all that) but she's super cool and I'm already positive we are going to be friends after this trip.We head out in the van on our way to Flagstaff where we will pick up two more people and then finally to the Grand Canyon where we are meeting the final couple who will join us on this trek.

In the van, there's that sort of awkward conversation and silence in the first 30 minutes as we start to get to know each other. Of course the conversation turns to our trip and facts about the GC (that's Grand Canyon for all you novices :-).

Our guide tells us the GC gets a million visitors a year and that 3 1/2 million go to the South Rim (where we are going), 1/2 million visit the North Rim but only one percent hike to the bottom.

Why you ask (or at least I did)?

"Because it's so hard," said our guide. Well shit ... There goes my confidence again.

Rick starts talking about all the hikes he's done in preparation for the trip and even Stacey chimes in with some she's completed. I keep my mouth shut and worry -- just a little -- but the fear is there.

Our guide then points to some books he brought about the Grand Canyon -- his personal favorite being a book called Death in the Grand Canyon.

(A glimpse in Angel's head at this point -- this hike is super difficult. Only one percent do it. Lots of people die here. What the hell am I doing here?)

Outside Angel jokingly says to our guide, "You know, you might not want to lead with these two factoids if you're trying to inspire us." Hahaha

We finally get to Flagstaff and pick up our next two hikers. They are an older couple from Tulsa, OK. Really wonderful, thin people. (Are you noticing a trend here? Apparently only thin people do the REI GC trip. And yes, I know I'm not fat but honestly I'm not like these people -- all wiry with little body fat -- you know the type, picture marathon runners.)

Anyway they've hiked the GC several times and have gone on quite a few REI trips. They are really interesting and offered quite a few tips about future trips I hope to take, but won't bore you with here. But alas I'm still stuck on the idea that I'm the most ill-prepared for this trip.

Finally we make it to the GC where we are meeting the last couple to join us. Hurray! They are an older couple who doesn't look in shape at all! I just might not be the last one up the canyon after all.

We stop at the Verkamps visitor center in the park to have lunch and talk about our trip. I get out of the van and take my first glimpse of the Grand Canyon.

OMG!!!

In that one moment I couldn't care less about anything else but seeing the most majestic, breathtaking view I have ever seen. I'll include some shots later (too hard from my iPhone) but honestly pictures could NEVER do this magnificent place justice. It's simply stunning.

I immediately become so excited for this trip. I don't care if I get blisters, if I'm huffing and puffing or if my legs and back hurt for days. I am here and I am so grateful to have this experience.

And remember how I said in my post yesterday that I was going to notice all the times I needlessly
worried?

Well, already I can share with you at least two times I've done just that -- first with my roomie. My worrying mind wondered if we would get along, if she would hate me after I kept her up all night from snoring, yadda, yadda, yadda. Nope -- she's awesome and I've already told her about my sleep apnea. She's not worried, brought her own earplugs and figures she will be so tired it won't matter anyway.

And the worrying about being in shape? I may or may not be in the best condition for this hike, but I know I'll make it and I plan on enjoying every second.

Can't wait to share my adventure tomorrow when we start our hike down the South Kaibab trail!




No comments:

Post a Comment